These pork and spinach dumplings are great to batch make and store in the freezer. Not only are they simple to make but they taste delicious too!
- 565 grams ground lean pork
- 1/2 cup chopped baby spinach
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 35 dumpling wrappers (but I find the recipe makes more than this)
- In a large bowl, mix the pork, spinach, ginger, thyme, soy sauce, rice wine, sesame oil, and garlic powder together.
- In a small bowl, pour a bit of water, which you will use to prep your dumpling wrappers. Take a wrapper and dip the edge in water to about 1/2 inch deep. Rotate the wrapper so that you get a half-circle of water. This allows you to fold and seal the dumpling.
- Let the dumpling wrapper rest on your fingers on your left hand. Then, you’ll fill the center with a spoonful of meat. Resist the urge to fill it with too much filling! It will make the folding more difficult.
- Using your right thumb and forefinger, pinch and seal a bit of the dry part of the wrapper with the wet part. Use your left thumb to hold the filling down as you pleat the dumpling. Then, using your forefingers, pinch a bit of the wet part of the wrapper together. You have created your first pleat! Press down that pleat along the dry side of the wrapper. Continue creating pleats until until you reach the end on the left side. Repeat with remaining dumplings.
- To cook the dumplings, heat a large sauté pan with a tablespoon of oil over medium high heat. When the pan is hot, line the dumplings in the pan, bottom side down.
- Let the dumplings fry for about a minute, then pour about 3 tablespoons of water in the pan and cover it with a lid. Reduce the heat just a little. When the water evaporates, continue adding another 3 tablespoons of water and close the lid. Continue doing this until you have cooked the dumplings for about 6-8 minutes.
- Dip in soy sauce or chili sauce, if desired.
Looking for more great recipes? Check them out here.